America's Great Desert National Parks End Phoenix
Chart a course through the deserts of America, basking in the photographer's dream of Death Valley, Badwater Basin’s salt flats, iconic Joshua Tree National Park and Red Rock Canyon’s towering cliffs. Find yourself tucking into gastronomic delights and sipping local brews with a Head Brewer.
- 1 Welcome Reception (WR)
- 9 Breakfast (B)
- 2 Dinner (D)
- 1 Lunch (L)
- Tucson: Unlock the best of the flavors of Tucson on a visit and tour of Borderlands Brewing Company, a local secret that boasts an all-women production facility. Learn about the beer making process from Head Brewer Ayla Kapahi, who is passionate about empowering women and minorities in the craft beer industry and co-founded Pink Boots of Southern Arizona, a non-profit that supports women in alcohol fermentation sciences. After your tour, sip on a flight of four of their best brews guided by Ayla and her team. Afterward, sit down to a southwest inspired lunch of a loaded tachos appetizer, salad and a tacos platter including carne asada, shrimp and veggie tacos with a side of beans - with vegetarian options available.
- Red Rock Canyon: Admire the towering red cliffs and sandstone peaks of the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.
- Death Valley: You’ll truly feel the solitude and vastness of Death Valley today as you head out on a guided tour of the park’s most famous sites. You’ll discover the unique geological features of Death Valley, a land of sand dunes and volcanic craters, intriguing weather-patterns, and the highest-recorded temperatures in the United States.
- Los Angeles: Calico is an old West mining town that has been around since 1881 and was abandoned in the mid-1890s after silver lost its value. The town that once gave miners a good living lost its hustle and became a "ghost town." Walter Knott purchased Calico in the 1950’s architecturally restoring all but the five original buildings to look as they did in the 1880’s. Calico received State Historical Landmark 782 and in 2005 was proclaimed by then Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to be California’s Silver Rush Ghost Town.
- Palm Springs: Enjoy a celebrity and lifestyle tour of Palm Springs shedding light on the city's unique mid-century architecture, featuring an amazing collection of custom homes.
- Palm Springs: Take the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway along cliffs of Chino Canyon right to the top of the mountain. Pause to enjoy the fantastic views of the valley below.
- Joshua Tree National Park: Visit Joshua Tree National Park, which shares the name of the iconic desert plant. The twisted branches and jagged leaves of the Joshua Tree is like something out of a fairy tale. Learn how two distinct ecosystems, the Mojave and the Colorado deserts come together in Joshua Tree. Many animals, such as the desert tortoise, the jackrabbit and the desert bighorn sheep, call this vast wilderness home. With a keen eye, perhaps spot some yourself.
- Salton Sea: Surrounded by sand, the Salton Sea glistens like a jewel in California’s crown. Less than an hour’s drive from Greater Palm Springs, this huge body of water was born accidentally in 1905. It was even once meant to be the Riviera of the Americas, but Mother Nature had other plans. Start your visit to the area at the Visitor Center in Mecca. You'll find a fascinating interpretive Center with plenty of history (including old posters and advertisements from the Salton Sea’s past as a vacation destination).
- Yuma: Visit The Yuma Territorial Prison, a living museum of the Old West with structures over a century old, you will be transported to the past. Now one of the territory’s most recognizable historic landmarks.
- Saguaro National Park: Saguaro National Park consists of two separate areas-the Tucson Mountain District about 10 miles (16 km) west of Tucson, and the Rincon Mountain District, about 10 miles (16 km) east of the city. Today we visit the Rincon Mountain District to better understand how both districts preserve Sonoran Desert landscapes, fauna, and flora, including the giant saguaro cactus.
- Palm Springs: Welcome to the first operating wind farm in Southern California! The Palm Springs Windmill Tours take you on a journey in which you will learn about wind energy, how wind turbines work and the history of the wind farm. Your expert guide describes the inner workings of wind turbines and their contributions to our energy grid. This Make Travel Matter Experience addresses United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 7 Affordable and Clean Energy and Goal 13 Climate Action. From the novice participant to engineer-types, everyone will leave the tour with a better understanding of how this renewable energy is fast becoming part of our energy solution.
- : Visit Las Vegas, Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area and Coachella Valley Yuma Territorial Prison and Calico Ghost Town and Palm Springs Windmill Energy Farm
- : Explore Palm Springs and Tucson
- : Discover some of the desert National Parks of the US including Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park and Saguaro National Park
- : See Las Vegas from above from the Highroller
- : An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- : Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- : All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- : All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- : Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- : Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- : Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- : All transport and transfers shown
- : Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transporta...
- National Parks and Preserves
Imagine unmissable experiences you've always dreamed of, getting to know the locals and having everything taken care of every step of the way.
Here's what you'll experience:
Must-sees to local secrets
Visiting bucket list sites are a highlight of traveling, however, traveling on your own can make them hard work. Don't queue with other sightseers for hours, with Trafalgar our experts unlock doors - think exclusive access to the Vatican out of hours or a tour of Versailles and its grounds with an expert. This, coupled with the intimate glimpses and hidden gems our local specialists show you, are the life-changing experiences that make you feel like an insider, not a tourist.
Thanks to our global network you'll unlock local access to communities and people around the world. Our 100+ Be My Guest experiences are a signature Trafalgar exclusive, where you will enjoy the hospitality of locals as you are welcomed into their homes to hear their stories and learn about their cultures. In every destination, you'll also enjoy unique "Stays with stories" accommodation: more than just a place to rest your head, they are part of the heritage and fabric of the communities you visit.
Everything taken care of
You'll enjoy 24/7 travel expertise and dedicated service at every step. From the moment you arrive in your destination to the moment you depart; everything is taken care of. Our on-road team will provide advice and guidance plus porterage and optional experience bookings. We are also proud to have the endorsement of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) Safe Travels Stamp, recognizing our wellbeing standards.
Responsible travel at heart
When you choose Trafalgar, you are choosing to make your travels a force for good and support our goal to MAKE TRAVEL MATTER®. We recognize our responsibility to ensure we make a positive impact on the planet we call home, the people we visit, and the rich wildlife we find. We ensure that the impacts of our business and your travels are positive in two ways: through our TreadRight Foundation, and our 5-year sustainability strategy How We Tread Right.